Numerous of people regularly take harmful cholesterol and blood pressure lowering drugs but according to a clinical study published in the Atherosclerosis journal,adding just one food in their everyday diet will reduce the risk of heart disease, restore health, and reverse a heart disease.
Namely, this study show that:
“Pomegranate juice consumption resulted in a significant IMT [intima media thickness] reduction, by up to 30%, after 1 year.”
A growing interest in this fruit, as it is completely natural and has no side-effects, it is inexpensive and able to unclog the arteries.
Lot of patients are still spending a fortune on highly expensive drugs that are associated to a staggering 300-plus adverse health effects.
The intima media is the central part of your arteries which gets inflamed. It gets loaded with plaque which has oxidized fats, immune cells, and the debris from them. This condition is widely called “blocked arteries.”
The intima media is, in fact, the middle part of the arteries that get inflamed and full of plaque comprised of immune cells, oxidized fats, and their debris, in the condition commonly known as “blocked arteries.”
As this part gets thicker, the blood contents have smaller space to move through the arteries’ opening (lumen). As soon as the arteries are closed or obstructed, the person may suffer from a disastrous injury or even death.
We are living in a world where the major cause for death is the cardiovascular disease, and millions of patients use drugs that only reduce surrogate markers for cardiovascular disease risk, so if there is a slightest chance that a simple dietary intervention may reduce or reverse the major disease of millions of people around the world,we must give it a chance .
The Study on Pomegranate
The study was published in Clinical Nutrition in 2014 by Israel researchers. The headline in the published study said that consuming pomegranate juice for 3 years by carotid artery stenosis patients helped in reducing common carotid intima-media thickness, LDL oxidation and blood pressure.
The researchers revealed the findings that plaque buildup within the carotid arteries was reversed when they were administered pomegranate (in juice form) for 1 year. These subjects were suffering from severe (yet symptomless) carotid artery stenosis. This condition means that there is 70% to 90% blockage within the internal carotid arteries.
This study included 19 patients, 5 women and 14 men, non-smokers, at the age of 65-75. Ten of these patients consumed pomegranate juice, while 9 were in the control group and received placebo.
All participants had similar blood pressure, blood lipid and glucose concentrations, and took similar medications which involved blood-pressure lowering (like β-blockers, ACE inhibitors, or calcium channel blockers) and lipid lowering drugs (like statins).
Those ten patients received 1.69 ounces (50 ml) of pomegranate juice on a daily basis which included .036 milligrams of total polyphenols (primarily tannins and anthocyanins), for a year. Furthermore, five of these decided to continue for up to three years.
These are the results:
“The mean intima media thickness the left and right common carotid arteries in severe carotid artery stenosis patients that consumed pomegranate juice for up to 1 year was reduced after 3, 6, 9 and 12 months of pomegranate juice consumption by 13%, 22%, 26% and 35%, respectively, in comparison to baseline values.”
- a medication was shown to reverse plaque accumulation in the carotid arteries by 13% in a period of 3 months
- a factor in the carotid artery stenosis elevated 9% within a year in the control group, the other group might have shown even better effects than demonstrated
- if the patients in the pomegranate group had received no treatment, the thickening of their carotid arteries would have progressed just like in other group, at a rate of 9% a year, i.e. 18% within 2 years, 27% within 3 years
- after 3 years of pomegranate treatment, the thickening of the arteries would be lowered by more than 60% beyond the actual situation in case of the natural progression of the disease.
The experts that conducted this study specified 3 possible mechanisms of action :
Lowering of Blood Pressure:
- researchers found a significant improvement in blood pressure in patients: lower for 7%, 11% ,10%, 10% and 12% after 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12 months of use of pomegranate
- this fruit lower systolic blood pressure , has a healing effect on the endothelium, the inner lining of the artery which cannot be completely relaxed in the case of heart disease
- The oxidative stress in patients in the pomegranate group has been reduced
- this reduction of oxidative stress was measurable by an increase in the blood serum enzyme paraoxonase 1 (PON1) of up to 91% after a period of 3 years; PON1 is an enzyme whose elevated activity is linked to lower oxidative stress
- this amazing fruit prevents the oxidative stress effects which lead to heart disease.
- patients belonging to the pomegranate group had significantly reduced oxidative stress and had significantly reduced autoantibodies formation against ox-LDL. ox-LDL is a kind of oxidized low density lipoprotein associated with the pathological process of atherosclerosis.
Plaque Lesion Stabilization
Two out of ten patients on PJ (pomegranate juice) suffered clinical deterioration (after 3 and 12 months). The patients underwent carotid surgery. The researchers found 4 unique positive variations:
Reduction in Cholesterol Content
Lower cholesterol content within carotid lesions in the 2 patients that took PJ. It was lower by 58% in one case and 20% in the other. The comparisons were made against the lesions from CAS patients who didn’t take PJ.
Reduction in LDL Oxidation
LDL oxidations due to lesions from patients who consumed pomegranate juice reduced by 43% for 3 months or 32% for 12 months.
Increased Reduced Glutathione Content
“A substantial increase in the lesion reduced glutathione (GSH) content, (GSH is a major cellular antioxidant) by 2.5-fold, was observed after PJ consumption for 3 or 12 months, (Fig. 3C).”
Reduced Lipid Peroxides
“The lipid peroxides content in lesions obtained from the patients after PJ consumption for 3 or 12 months was significantly reduced by 61% or 44%, respectively, as compared to lesions from patients that did not consume PJ (Fig. 3B).”
These conclusions show that despite the ability of pomegranate to reduce the lesion size in the carotid arteries, “the lesion itself may be considered less atherogenic after PJ consumption, as its cholesterol and oxidized lipid content decreased, and since its ability to oxidize LDL was significantly reduced.”
The result is revolutionary, and the threat of carotid artery stenosis is considered primarily via the size of the lesion and not by its quality.
Pomegranate group had raised triglycerides levels and very low density lipoprotein, again, underlining that the anti-atherosclerotic properties possible have stronger connection to the enhanced quality of the physiological milieu within which all lipoproteins operate than their number.
All participants in the study took conventional, drug-based care for heart disease and it shows that pomegranate did not interfere with the drugs and it can be taken as a complementary/adjunct therapy for those on drugs.
The study found that the condition of the got progressively aggravated and it indicates that drugs fail to deliver results, and may even speed up the development of the disease.
Live healthy and plain life …